In its simplest form – what is Cloud PBX?
Cloud PBX simply marries two products together (Cloud and PBX) to create a telephony system which works over in the cloud. Cloud is simply a technology which allows us to store and save data online as opposed to via physical hard drives. PBX stands for Public Branch Exchange, PBX is the technology behind a telephone provider’s ability to route calls. Bringing these two together, allows for a telephone system with all the functionality of traditional PBX (and more) which works in the cloud.
How does it work?
It’s straightforward stuff - instead of using old world telephone infrastructure, Cloud PBX uses the internet. Simply connect your phone to the internet from anywhere in the world – and make/receive calls. This can also be applied to mobile phones – simply download our app and connect to a 3g/4g network.
What do we call it? Cloud PBX? Hosted voice? VOIP?
One of the most frequently asked questions we receive, is what is the official name of Cloud PBX? The answer is, there isn’t - whether you’ve heard Cloud PBX, cloud/internet phone system, VOIP or hosted voice you’re essentially dealing with the same product, they’re all offering the same functionality. Chess call their cloud telephone system, Cloud PBX.
Cloud PBX Vs On premise (Old world)
On premise products work via ISDN lines – meaning they aren’t using SIP (online) technology. The significance of this is huge, as BT has announced they will be turning off ISDN their ISDN network by 2025, thus making traditional on-premise PBX redundant. Beyond this old-world PBX systems don’t provide the same levels of features, cost efficiencies and flexibilities offered by Cloud PBX.
What are the key business benefits to my business?
There are countless business benefits when considering making a switch to the cloud, we’ve outlined a few areas where your business can experience maximum benefit.
- Cost saving – Cloud PBX offers businesses a great chance to save money, avoiding the cost of internal calls, initial set up costs and the costs of on-going maintenance.
- Flexibility – Whether you’re working in Colchester or Calcutta, you can take your calls on the go. Simply login into our portal and you can take calls via Wi-Fi, or even better via mobile on a 3g/4g connection.
- Business continuity – If your business requires complete uptime, Cloud PBX offers a robust solution. Whether you work in financial services or in healthcare, Cloud PBX provides a reliable and continuous connection.
- Scalability – Perfect for growing businesses, Cloud PBX allow you to easily add or remove lines without hassle or additional capital investment.
If you’re looking to better understand how Cloud PBX can work for your business we have compiled a Cloud PBX buyers guide. The buyer’s guide helps you avoid purchasing pitfalls, provides real insight into the market and includes a vendor checklist when going through the buying process.
Download your copy - click below:
...or call us directly on 0808 278 0431
- PBX (private branch exchange) - A telephony system what switches calls between enterprise users on local lines while allowing all users to share a certain number of external phone lines.
- Old world systems – A term used to describe all systems pre-cloud.
- VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) - Technology delivering voice communications over the internet - essentially Cloud PBX.
- ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network) -
- On premise system / PBX – Another way to describe PBX solutions/
- Hosted voice – another term used to describe Cloud PBX
- SIP - Session Initiation Protocol
- SIP Trunking - A replacement for traditional ISDN. Connecting your PBX to the PSTN via broadband, ethernet or leased line.
- PSTN - Public switched telephone network.