Help & Support
Our most frequently asked questions
1. Do I need a BT landline to enjoy your services?
2. Do I need to cancel my existing contract?
3. What happens when I sign up to Chess?
4. What is NBOP (Never Beaten on Price)
5. What is fraud monitor?
Account and Billing
1. How often will I be charged?
2. When will I receive my Bill?
3. When will I receive my first bill?
4. Why have I been charged more than one month’s line rental?
5. How do I pay?
- You can set up a Direct Debit online by logging in to your Customer Portal, select ‘My Bills’ and click on ‘Set up a new Direct Debit’,
- Download a Direct Debit mandate by clicking HERE to download
- Call our dedicated Direct Debit team on 0844 770 4226 to set this up over the phone
Online payment – You can also make a secure payment online by clicking HERE
Bank Transfer – Please make payment to Chess Ltd, Account Number: 63490742, Sort Code: 20-55-34, quoting Account Number
By Phone – Call our Accounts team on 0844 770 4226
6. How long does it take for my direct debit to be set up?
7. When is the direct debt taken from my account?
8. Can I change the date that the direct debit comes out of my account?
9. When do I need to pay in order to avoid late payment charges?
10. Why is my bill different this month?
11. Can I view my bill online?
12. What is the customer portal?
13. Where can I find my account number?
14. How do I do register for the customer portal?
15. How do I change my billing preference?
16. How do I change the name or address on my account?
Cloud PBX Support
We’ve created a few helpful guides on how to complete some of the basic tasks on your Chess Cloud PBX.
How to access your Cloud PBX phone settings:
Logging into the portal:
Searching and Adding Contacts:
How to setup Call Forwarding:
How to twin your devices with Parallel Ring Box:
If you still haven’t found your answer, simply log a support request on your Customer Self-Service Portal and our team will be in touch.
1. I have seen a cheaper price elsewhere. Can you beat it?
2. How do I cancel my contract?
Phone Lines & Calls
1. How long would it take to install a new line?
The average time required for a line installation are as below. The time is estimated from the day of contract agreement and subject to there being availability line plant to serve your premises with our Supplier.
|Product type||Service level agreement|
|Single Analogue line||10-15 days|
|Broadband (depending on product type)||05-15 days|
We use BT Openreach engineers and installation is subject to their availability, customer location and weather conditions. As we deal with so many variables sometimes installation can be quicker, or take longer. Whatever the circumstances we strive to offer the best experience for you, and make sure our services match your needs.
2. How long does it normally take to transfer my services to you?
3. I am moving premises, can my numbers be retained?
4. How do I divert calls from my phone?
Broadband & Internet
1. How fast is your broadband?
2. Is there a maximum capacity to your service? Is there a limit on the amount of computers that can use it?
3. Is fibre optic broadband available in my area?
4. Do you provide a router?
5. What speed should I be getting from my broadband?
1. I have a fault on my line, what do I do?
If you’re having difficulty making or receiving calls, there may be a problem with your telephone line, your equipment or within the Exchange. Follow the steps below to see what you can do to either resolve or identify where the problem lies.If you can make calls okay but cannot receive them, try calling your number from another telephone or a mobile to see what the result is.If you can receive calls okay but cannot make them, lift up your Telephone receiver and check whether you have a dial tone, if you do but you still cannot dial out is this happening to every number that you dial, if it is then try dialling 1280 followed by the number you are calling to see if the call connects, if it does then the issue is within the Network.If you still cannot make an outgoing call after inserting 1280 then you need to carry out the following basic checks :-
- That your Telephone cable hasn’t accidentally disconnected from the socket or has been damaged.
- That the volume hasn’t been turned down on your Telephone.
- If the Telephone has a base unit that requires mains power, is it plugged in and working.
If your Socket is an Extension Socket, you need to locate the Master Socket, it is usually located where the Telephone Line comes into the premises, if there is a Telephone already connected try making a call from that Telephone, this will localise the fault to your Extension Telephone or Socket if the call connects.
If you’re still having problems, move onto the next section below.
Unplug all equipment plugged into your Master Socket. These can include :-
- Telephones, Fax Machines, Card Payment Terminals
- Your broadband router, micro filters for your broadband connection
- Extension leads, adaptors/double adaptors
You also need to remove the lower half of your Master Socket Faceplate (that your Telephone cord plugs into), remove the two screws and pull it away from the Main Box, this will remove any internal cabling that may be connected to the Master Socket. Plug your Telephone cable directly into the socket that the Faceplate was plugged into, this connects you directly with the incoming line. Try making a call, if you still cannot dial out and connect a call, if this has fixed the issue, then replace the Faceplate, plug each piece of equipment back in one by one, checking the phone line each time to see if a fault occurs. If this reveals one of your pieces of equipment to be causing the problem, please contact the manufacturer of the faulty equipment.
If this has not resolved the issue and you still believe you have a faulty line then call our customer support team on 0844 770 4219 who will be happy to help you further.
2. I have a fault on my broadband, what do I do?
Before contacting us, please check your phone line.Lift your telephone receiver to your ear and check whether you have a dial tone.
- Unplug the router from the mains, leaving a minimum of 30 seconds before plugging it back in & restarting your PC, laptop, tablet, smartphone or any other device you are connecting
- Change the broadband micro filter
- Swap the ADSL cable and/or Ethernet cable if used
- Disconnect anything else attached to the telephone line such as card and fax machines
- Your Router must be connected to the BT Master socket with no extension lead. Broadband is unreliable on extension sockets. If you master socket is not in a convenient location we can get this moved for you. Give us a call on 0844 770 6000.
This could potentially resolve the issue before you call us, however, if you are still experiencing problems then please call our customer support on 0844 770 4219
3. My internet is extremely slow?.
4. How long does it take to repair a fault?
This depends on your care level, the nature of your fault, your premises location and also Openreach engineers’ schedule. Chess strives to deliver our services to you as efficiently as possible. If you want more details or you would like to upgrade your care level speak to our customer support team on 0844 770 4219.
|Level||Engineering working times||Description / SLAs||Single Analogue
Multi Line Premium
|ISDN2 Premium||ISDN30 Premium|
|1 Basic Lines Only||Mon – Fri
(Excl Bank Hols)
|Clear by 23.59 day after next, For example, report Tuesday, clear Thursday||FOC||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|2||Mon – Sat
(Excl Bank Hols)
|Clear by 23.59 next day, example, report Tuesday, clear Wednesday||£0.65 per month||N/A||N/A||N/A|
(Inc Bank Hols)
07:00-21:00 Mon – Fri
08:00-18:00 Sat – Sun
|Report 13.00, clear by 23.59 same day. Report after 13.00 clear by 12.59 next day, seven days a week, including Public and Bank Holiday.||£4.50 per month||£3.75 per month||£3.75 per month
(Per Line which = 2 Channels)
|£2.50 per month
|4||Mon – Sun
(Inc Bank Hols) 24/7
365 days a year
|Clear within 6 hours||£5.75 per month||£4.80 per month||£4.80 per month
(Per Line which = 2 Channels)
|£2.75 per month
5. What if I need to log a fault out of business hours?
In-depth Faults Guide
Support and Maintenance
1. Why do I need phone system maintenance and support?
2. Is there any backup plan in case my business lines fail?
3. What is your service level agreement?
4, Who should I contact if I have any service issues?