Senior Legal Counsel - Commercial Contracts
Chess are currently recruiting for a Senior Legal Counsel to join their Legal team.
Location: Home Based | Business Area: Legal | Salary: Up to £70,000 dependant on experience
An opportunity has arisen to join our Legal Department as a Senior Legal Counsel. The Senior Legal Counsel will provide be responsible for legal support to Chess’ to sales and commercial divisions and business leaders within the Chess Group being successful with and for our customers. This role requires a business minded solicitor who enables sales while protecting Chess’ interests and ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The role will report to the Head of Legal.
The Legal Department services the Chess Group across a variety of practice areas including commercial, corporate, litigation and regulatory. There is a real focus on everyone taking ownership of their own role, whilst learning from each other’s experience to support individual personal development.
This is a remote position, and the successful candidate will be home based, however, there will be the option to work flexibly from one of our local hubs. Ad-hoc travel to offices within the group and other locations may be required on occasion.
Reporting to our Head of Legal.
Duties to include but not restricted to:
- Drafting, negotiating, and advising relevant stakeholders on complex bespoke commercial contracts that of material or strategic importance to the business
- Assist with planning of, and leading on the drafting of, commercial contract work for proactive strategic project work such as drafting terms and conditions, form of agreements and other ancillary contractual documentation for new product and service offerings
- Drafting and updating contractual documentation to address new legislation or regulations
- Advising the business in relation to operational matters that require action to ensure compliance with commercial contract documentation which is implemented arising from strategic project work such as within processes and procedures sales, service, technical, billing or finance departments to ensure operational alignment with contractual rights and obligations
- Providing training to team leaders and operational teams in relation to commercial contract documentation, processes and policies
Skills & Qualities you will need to demonstrate:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in drafting and advising on commercial contracts
- Proven ability to draft and negotiate complex commercial contracts
- In depth knowledge of contract law
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to find sound commercial solutions to complex legal and commercial issues
- Articulate and persuasive communication skills
- Excellent commercial awareness and understanding of strategic/commercial drivers affecting business decisions
- Ability to work under own initiative as well as part of a team
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Highly motivated and pro-active
- Experience of supporting sales within a private and public procurement process
- Experience and knowledge of OFCOM General Conditions
- Experience and knowledge of Data Protection Law
- Relevant industry experience or in-house experience
- The ability to develop successful relationships
Basic salary: Up to £60,000 dependant upon experience.
Benefits include: Pension, Health Care, Life Assurance, Loyalty Scheme, Salary Sacrifice Scheme, access to Mental Health support and new for 2020 – Perkbox. This gives you access to hundreds of 'Perks' giving you great discounts. Whether it be days out, your weekly food shop, a clothes shopping spree on the high street and many more.
Hours: 37½ hours per week Monday to Friday, normal office hours apply.
Holiday Allowance: 25 days paid holiday p.a., plus public holidays.
“Play Your Part”
Our growth creates opportunity for everyone to progress their career, to develop knowledge and skill, to gain reward and recognition and to maximise their potential. The growth and success of our people ensures the growth and success of our business. We believe that “if you’re not growing, we’re not growing”.
If you are looking for a career that brings exciting challenges and opportunities, then Chess is the place for you.
Please email your CV and covering letter to our Recruitment Department at: email@example.com.