Why is AutoSwitch being introduced?
Ofcom has introduced AutoSwitch to simplify the way consumers and businesses switch mobile provider, in order to reduce the difficulties experienced during the existing switching process.
Here’s a simple overview of how Ofcom see it working:
How will AutoSwitch work for Chess customers?
- Customers who want to switch and keep their existing phone number text "PAC" to 65075 to begin the process
- Their existing provider will respond by text within a minute
- A switching code (PAC), will be texted, which will be valid for 30 days
- The provider's reply must also include important information about any early termination charges or pay-as-you-go credit balances
- The customer then gives the code to their new provider, and this company must arrange for the switch to complete within one working day
- While most people want to keep their mobile number when they switch, about one in six do not. These customers can text "STAC" to 75075 to request a "service termination authorisation code"
Follow the link for the legislation outlined by Ofcom in December 2017: