If you’ve been putting off an assignment, getting bogged down in detail or struggling to complete a job, then today is the day to finally get that task ticked off your to-do list. It’s World Productivity Day.
So, (and we’ll be brief, there’s work to do), here are 5 productivity-sapping red flags to look out for – and 5 focus sharpening hacks to get you speeding through your priorities.
- Work with your phone face up on your desk. Notifications will distract you and tempt you to respond.
- Multi-task. According to research, your productivity decreases 20-40% every time you multi-task.
- Be afraid to ask for help. Not sure what you’re supposed to be doing – or how to do it? Get clarification and save yourself time, and effort. The results will speak for themselves.
- Leave things unfinished. Dot the i’s; cross the t’s. Tie up loose ends.
- (Most importantly)…lose sight of your customer.
- Write things down. To quote productivity guru Dave Allen: “Your mind is for having ideas, not holding them”
- Try the 1-3-5 Rule (Set out to accomplish, every day; 1 Big Thing; 3 Medium Things; 5 Little Things).
- Learn to say “no” when necessary-if you’re overstretching yourself, you’ll not be able to deliver on time or to the required standard. Take a break. Give your brain and body a breather, even if it’s just a walk around the block.
- Explore the latest apps which are reinventing productivity.
All set? It’s 9am – we’ve got a whole day ahead. Let’s go be productive!