Location: Hybrid Working | Business Area: Development | Salary: Up to £40,000 dependent on experience
This successful and energetic team contains individuals with a variety of experiences and skills. The successful candidate will relish the opportunity to join a vibrant andprofessional environment, where you are rewarded for your commitment and are provided with the opportunity for further career development. As a Front-End Developer, you will be responsible for creating and implementing thevisual interactive elements of websites and web-based applications.
We work with customers across both public and private sectors – delivering a wide variety of CMS solutions and web applications, often using Umbraco as the platform of choice. We provide a fully managed service including vision and scope workshops, design and development services, and support and hosting solutions (typically using Microsoft Azure). We offer feature rich solutions often including forms-based data capture, user profile management, news or blog post curation and management, and excel in the level of integration we can provide with other third-party systems.
Through each project, you’ll be part of daily scrums with the dev team, and weekly
demonstrations with the customer to show the progress we’ve made. You’ll have monthly 121’s with your line manager to reflect on the month, consider improvements we can make to the way we do things, and make sure that from a continuous professional development perspective you have the support and resources you need to thrive.
- Designing and implementing UI features, responsive across all devices, and
adhering to accessibility standards as a pre-requisite rather than an afterthought
- Maintaining and improving website and web application functionality – discussing
feature improvements with our customers and proposing solutions to the challenges they bring us
- Optimising applications for performance and compatibility across browsers and
- Collaborating with back-end Developers and Web Designers to improve usability,
user experience and accessibility, following the WCAG 2.1 AA standard (and at
times AAA where required)
- Writing functional requirement documents, end user guides, and producing a backlog of work with user stories and associated acceptance criteria
- Accurately estimating (as part of a wider team) the time it will take to implement
and deliver either entire projects or feature enhancements and change requests
- Creating quality design mock-ups and prototypes that are presentable to project stakeholders, to obtain constructive criticism and feedback, and incorporating this into the next iteration
- Influencing our UI and UX approach and decisions throughout our project’s lifecycle
- Strong HTML & CSS Experience
- Familiarity with browser testing and debugging tools
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills
- Experience of agile methodologies and the Scrum framework
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to communicate effectively in person, via email, and video calls
- Excellent organisational and time management skills with the ability to plan and prioritise workload efficiently and successfully perform duties under pressure
- An appetite for staying up-to-date on emerging technologies and best practices
- Any of NODE JS, TypeScript & SASS
- Any of Umbraco, React & Angular
- Working knowledge of C# & SQL Server
- Experience with Microsoft DevOps as a work management tool, use of build and release pipelines and using Git repo’s
Salary details: Up to £40,000 dependent on experience
- Health care support – UK Healthcare, eye tests, flu jabs, onsite health screens
- Enhanced Pay: Maternity, Paternity, Adoption Leave and Shared Parental Leave
- Access to employee benefits, rewards and recognition platform, Perkbox. This gives you access to hundreds of ‘Perks’ with great discounts. Whether it be days out, your weekly food shop, a clothes shopping spree on the high street and many more.
- Hybrid working support - Allowance towards a home desk and chair
- Loyalty point scheme – allowing you to use your points to increase your benefits each year
- Access to our Future Fit benefits package – including Mental, Physical and Financial support
- 20 days paid holiday p.a. increased upon anniversaries, ultimately to 24 days p.a., plus public holidays.
- Buy & sell Holiday scheme – 2 opportunities per year to buy or sell up to 5 holidays
- Additional holidays: Half Day Fridays and a Wellbeing Day
- £100 per year matched charity donation, plus payroll giving options
Hours: A standard week is 37½ Monday to Friday
At Chess we offer many flexible working options, and we have both full-time and part-time working hours available. Chess pride themselves on being an inclusive employer, so if you want to find out more about our flexible working arrangements this can be discussed with your application.
Working location: Hybrid working position
Allowing you to enjoy the flexibility of working from home whilst also having the option to work from one of our many local hubs spread throughout the UK. Ad-hoc travel to offices within the group and other locations may be required on occasion.
Is Chess the place for you?
If you are looking for a career that brings exciting challenges and opportunities, then Chess is the place for you.
Please email your CV and covering letter to our Recruitment Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org.